Friday, July 13, 2007

Holiday Reading - We will need it if this weather keeps up.


I'm off for a week in Keswick, in the rain - if the forecast is to be believed. Here are the books I'm taking with me:

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Simon Armitage
I was introduced to this anonymous 14th century tale as a teenager when I read the Tolkien translation on the back of Lord of the Rings, and to be honest I found it hard going. I'm looking forward to Simon Armitage's version; I love his poetry and have high expectations of this book.

Whit, Iain Banks
I chose this after borrowing The Wasp Factory from my friend Michele and enjoying the twisted, sordid tale immensely. The reviews of Banks' work suggests his prose has improved as his experience has progressed. I'll let you know, but if his first novel is anything to go by, It'll take me a few days to get over it!

Of course I'll be racing to ensure both books are finished in the week; not just so I can tell you about them but so I can dash of to Asda when I get back for a cheap copy of the final Harry Potter.

No comments: